Step away from the cupcake!

I slept like a rock last night. After weeks of bad dreams and frequent waking in the night, last night was like heaven! I don't remember waking up at all. The only down side to that was when the alarm went off, it seemed as though I had just fallen asleep. I hit my customary snooze for the second time and lay there, enjoying those last moments of rest. Then I noticed my bladder was about to absolutely pop. And somehow Pablo the big fat cat had stolen some of my blanket at the foot of the bed, so I was actually kind of cold. I wanted more than anything to pull that blanket up and get warm again, but I knew the danger in that. Then I would never want to get out of bed and start my day. I had a choice to make. I asked God to help me.

In the end, I made a good choice. I decided to just get up (and after only two snoozes!) rather than making myself comfortable. So here I sit in the quiet of morning, all alone and typing away. I'm glad I didn't pull that blanket up or I'd probably be rushing around right now.

Although it doesn't feel good, discomfort can be a good thing when it helps us do what's right. God uses it in our lives all the time. It's called discipline. (Hebrews 12:11) There are also certain times in my life where I'm learning to use it myself. There it's called self control. (Galatians 5:23) Fasting is a great way to develop self control, and there are many reasons to do it. Sometimes I do it if I need some serious direction or if I want to turbocharge my prayer life. Sometimes I do it as a sacrificial offering when I'm praying for someone else. Sometimes, just as I didn't pull the blanket up this morning,  I choose to deny myself comforts for the sole purpose of drawing closer to God. One thing I frequently fast from is sweets.

I love sweets. They taste good. They're pretty. They're fun to eat. They're fun to bake. Some of them are crunchy. Some are gooey. Some are soft and pillowy. Anything with icing will do. I love them cold or hot. Big or small. Fruity or chocolately. Sweets and I go back a long way. They have been a major comfort to me. Sometimes just LOOKING at a pretty cupcake makes me feel better. I can't tell you how many nights I've sat in front of the tv, enjoying a few frozen lumps of cookie dough or one last slice of cake as I fix my eyes on that mindless box in front of me. Because eating that little piece of heaven felt so satisfying to my body, it never ocurred to my troubled soul that it needed some time with Jesus. Know where that got me? A few pounds heavier, a little more depressed, and not nearly as close to God as I desperately needed to be.
 
So I fast. It gets me out of my physical comfort zone and my heart soon follows. It gives God a chance to show His mighty power in me. (Trust me-turning down the red velvet cake at a surprise birthday party in the middle of a two week sweets fast is a major victory!) It is wonderful to go to those secret places with God and rest, and I need to. (Psalm 62:1) But I must be careful not to react as Peter did up on that mountain with Jesus when He witnessed His transfiguration. Peter's first response was, "I like it here! Let's stay!" (Matthew 17:4, paraphrased) If I never venture out of my "safe" places with God, there will be no need for faith. And without faith, no one can please God. (Hebrews 11:6) So when the sweets start getting in my way, there's only one thing to do. The choice is simple, although it's never easy. I must show my body that it's not the boss of me.  I must step away from the cupcake.

Father, thank You that my desire for You overrides all others. Thank You for the discipline of fasting, and thank You that You notice when, like my precious Jesus, I choose to deny myself for the ultimate good of Your kingdom. Give me strength today to resist those things which hinder me from You. Through Your strength, may I make choices that are pleasing in Your sight.

In His able love,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts