First Things First

I worked in the toddlers' nursery yesterday at church. There were two new faces besides the adorable one I already knew. Somehow I was drawn to one of the new ones.  I could tell she was unsure about being there. She wandered around cautiously, checking out the toys and sizing up the other kids, still trying to decide whether bursting into tears and desperately wailing for Mama was in order. So I sat down with her and we looked at a puzzle.

Of course, she didn't know me, and at first she looked at me as if to say, 'And why should I be talking to you?"

But I persevered. I introduced myself and told her how much I loved her little pink moccasin shoes. I began to show her each piece of the wooden puzzle and name the animals. Finally, FINALLY, she spoke to me when she informed me that the piece I was holding happened to be a dog.

"That's right!!" I excitedly affirmed. "That's a doggie! Good for you!!"

Imagine my elation when she actually took one of the pieces and placed in in the appropriate spot all by herself.

Praise and enouragement is so important for children. And when they're little bitty, we must teach them the most basic knowledge and skills. When you haven't been around little ones, even for a while, you begin to forget how to relate to their need for fundamentals. First things first- colors, numbers, animals, choosing the right shape, using a spoon, etc. Being around older kids or grown ups for too long will make you forget that stuff, because saying things like, "Way to go, Bob, you put the dirty clothes where they go in the clothes hamper! I'm so proud of you, Buddy!! I knew you could do it!!" would sound ridiculous to a 40 year old man. But to a 2 year old, that's the encouragement they need to make them want to do it right again the next time.

I realized in my interaction with a young Christian recently that I was doing the same thing with her. I was encouraging her in a way that would probably have sounded ridiculous to a more "seasoned" Christian. It's easy to forget sometimes that everyone starts in the same place with Jesus. He Himself said that "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (John 3:3) We all must start in Christian infancy, or we won't start at all. Ponder for a moment what infancy is like. As baby, you couldn't feed yourself, move yourself,  or express yourself. Why, you couldn't even lift your own head! You were in a state of total dependence on your parent(s) for everything you needed Trust wasn't even an issue at that point. You were so helpless, you didn't really have a choice.

Similarly, God must take each one of us and start all over again spiritually (and sometimes emotionally too),  when we are born again. All of us will begin in Christian infancy, and because God expects us to love one another (1John 4:21), we must take these little ones under our wings and teach them what they need to know. We need to teach new Christians in a way they can understand; some of the expressions and (I'm sorry) cliches we Christians tend to use mean nothing to someone who is just starting their journey with Jesus. We must be mindful to keep it simple and basic for them. First things first. Not "salvation" or "justification" but that Jesus took your punishment for you (John 19) so that you could have a mindblowing relationship with the Creator (2Corinthinians 5:18) and a full and rewarding life from this moment on (John (10:10). Not "you are more than a conquerer" (Romans 8:37), but that what's held you down for so long won't hold you down anymore, and God will take your life's biggest shame and turn it into something unimaginably wonderful for your good and for His glory! (Romans 8:28) Not just "for God so loved the world" (John 3:16), but that God loves YOU.

Take a moment to remember what it was like to first meet Jesus. Everything was new, and you had a lot to learn. Just like a little child, you were unsure about a lot of things. You had to learn the Word before you could share it, and even then you had to begin to learn what it really meant for you in your life in that moment. Let's not forget that when we're with new Christians. Let's be careful to pay attention and encourage them in even the smallest of victories. They, too, must first learn to lift their heads before they can ever hope to get up and walk.

You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head. Thank You for being a faithful and patient Father. Thank You for lifting up my head when I was unable and teaching me who I am because of Your wonderful Son! Thank You for teaching me all I need to know to have a life overflowing with Your mercy and grace. I pray, Lord, that I will always remain teachable, and that, as I grow up in You, I will live a life that brings You glory.

In His patient love,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts