The Beauty of Age

I just turned 36 a few days ago, and I have such mixed feelings about that. When you're talking about pennies, thirty six is only a few. When you're counting down hours to your wedding, 36 isn't many. After a long road trip, 36 miles is almost home. But 36 years of age is kind of tricky.

I find myself again in a in-between place. People older than me tell me I'm just a baby, but I just learned I'm officially old enough to have birthed most of the Jonas Brothers. My eyes are changing so fast my glasses prescription can't keep up. And I know all the places to find those dreaded reappearing gray hairs.

Young people notice and recognize that I'm not exactly young anymore. I couldn't tell you one movie that's playing at the theater right now. I don't really care who's dating whom in the public eye. There are actually grown people out there who have never watched a single episode of 'The Love Boat.' I'm just not 'with it' anymore.

With all that in mind, I was inspecting my hair in the mirror recently. Certain areas of it are lightening up and turning slightly red. That's exactly what happened to my mom's hair before it began to turn gray. My husband laughed when I showed him. He said, 'Well, you can always color it.' God's immediate response in my heart surprised me. 'Don't you dare.'

Several years ago I found a Scripture which I knew would be waiting for me down the road. Proverbs 16:31 says "Gray hair is a crown of splendor. It is attained by a righteous life." I guess that day is close at hand. It bothers me that that bothers me.

You see, the world is all about appearances and avoiding death at all costs. In the world, getting old is a bad thing, because death is the dreaded end. People pay millions and millions of dollars to look as though they're younger. Do they really think pretending will change the reality of mortality?

God is explaining to my heart that all my lamenting over gray hairs and stiff joints sounds more like the world than His Kingdom. In His Kingdom, death is the ultimate reward, because only then will we finally come face to face with our wonderful, merciful Savior. That's what I live for. I was beginning to miss the point. And God wants my gray hairs to stay right where they are to remind me every time I look in the mirror. Getting older isn't a bad thing - it's something to celebrate. It just means I'm that much closer to Glory!

Father, thank You for reminding me what's really important in this crazy life on earth. Teach me to embrace my age, whatever it is. I appreciate so much Your mercy and grace that brought me to this point. Help me to live the righteous life worthy of the crown of glory that's on its way.

In His wisdom and love,
Amy

Copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts