His Mercies Are New Every Morning


A friend on Facebook posted the other day that she felt like a total failure as a parent that day and she asked if anyone else ever felt the same way. Ha!  Only all the time! We all mess up with our kids. There are no perfect parents on this earth. Still, I remember being a little girl and believing that my mom knew how to do everything, handle every situation, and answer every difficult question. I never feared when she was with me. I guess that's why I had such separation anxiety when she left me with someone else. Somehow, I believed that as long as she was with me, I was safe, because she always knew what to do.

The funny thing is, at that time, she was in her mid 30's, younger than I am now. I happen to know by now that no 30 something year old knows how to do everything, handle everything or figure out every answer. Now I know that there are plenty of days when a 30 something year old feels totally lost, not knowing what to do or how to answer all the questions. I am sure that my mom was just like any mother, learning as she went. And guess what? She made mistakes, too, just like I do all the time. Yes, we all make mistakes with our kids, probably every single day of their lives.

But here's the good news - God's grace is sufficient! (2 Corinthians 12:9) When you have a day when you know you've failed miserably, whether with your children or someone else - His grace is still sufficient to cover you, and you will be forgiven. No matter how quickly you lost your temper, no matter how high you raised your voice, no matter what you did or didn't say, did or didn't do, His grace is enough to help you wake up the next day and try again. He will never hold it against you if you just bring it Him and ask for help! "Because of the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness!" (Lamentations 3:22-23)

The truth is that God is the perfect parent I once thought my mother was. He is the only perfect parent. His love and mercy never fail. If I want to be the best parent (or friend or wife or teacher, etc.) I can be, then I must look to Him and search His Word for the answers. He is the only One who is able not only to teach me how to do it, but who can cover my mistakes with His grace and help me to use even my failings to point my children (and anyone else who might be watching) to Him.

If you feel like yesterday wasn't your best day, take heart! Today is a new day! His mercies are brand new right now! And remember His beautiful promise in Isaiah 44:22 as you pick yourself up and try again:




"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you."


Father, thank You that I can always look to You for all the unanswered questions my children ask, all the difficult situations I don't know how to handle, and all of my own failures. Thank You that nothing is wasted with You, even my mistakes. Thank You for being the One true and perfect parent.


In His perfect love,
Amy


copyright 2011, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts