Living like a foreigner

Jake and I went to a funeral yesterday. In fact, that was the second funeral he's been to in his first four months of life. Two funerals in just a few weeks will get you thinking. I've been thinking a lot.

When Olivia was a baby, my experience was very different than it is now. Back then, I was married to a military man and I was on my own a lot with a new baby. This time I'm surrounded by family and friends, and a husband who works from home, hallelujah! But also, my life experience up to that point was different. I've done a lot of living these last nine years. I've discovered the endless, perfect love of God. I've gone through an excruciating separation and divorce. I've been through surgeries (mine and Olivia's). I've learned to overcome my fears. I've found my voice. I've fallen in love and remarried. And most recently, I've become a momma again. After all that living, my perspective on life is a little different.

When I became pregnant this time, I was excited, though not in the dream-come-true, life is wonderful kind of way I was the first time around. This time, I take the responsibility of parenting much more seriously. This time, I'm much more aware of what life involves for this little one we've brought into the world. I stare at him sometimes and my heart hurts for all the things he doesn't know about life yet. I believe that he will do a lot of living. He will know joy and laughter and love and fun. But there will also be hurt, struggle, and pain. A person can get through life without the first three. No one can live any length of time without experiencing the latter three.

Sigh. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade today, but here is the reality that's sitting heavily on my heart . In 100 years, everyone reading this will be gone. Our bodies will fail us, our hearts will stop beating,  and we will die. The world will go on without us. People are so caught up in the moment these days. It's all about how fast you can get what you want and how much you're willing to pay to have it. Internet, cell phones, all this technology that gives us everything right this minute...it's all making us forget that this present time is not where it's at. We won't stay here. Doesn't it seem foolish to put so much energy and focus on somewhere we will live for only 80 or 100 years, when eternity lasts a whole lot longer? Just think, 4,145,003, 217,433 years from now, heaven will still be here. Earth won't.

In 1Peter 2:11, the Bible calls us "aliens and strangers in the world." Some translations call us "wayfarers and foreigners," "strangers and pilgrims,"  "temporary residents and foreigners,"  and "sojourners and exiles." The truth is, we're not staying here long! Do you live like a temporary resident here, or is your heart rooted only in things that won't last the test of time? And how can you tell? I think it's easy. Are the things you pour yourself into things that have eternal value? Will they make a difference in heaven? Or do they just make your life easier here on earth?

Philippians 4:8 spells it out for us: "Therefore, my brethren, those things that are true, those that are honorable, those that are righteous, those things that are pure, those things that are precious, those things that are praiseworthy, deeds of glory and of praise, meditate on these things."

The whole rest of the Bible explains to us what those things are. Simply put, Jesus is all of those things, and the Bible is all about Him. If you pour yourself and all you have into Him and His purpose, you can't lose! If your eyes are fixed on Him (Hebrews 12:2), you will always know that you are not a permanent resident here on earth, and you will live accordingly as you follow Him.

Today, as I meditate on life and death and everything in between, Hebrews 12:1-3 encourages me. I hope it encourages you too.

  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.[a] Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne."

Oh, God, help me today to live as a foreigner here! Remind me every day that I am not really home yet. Help me to live as one whose eyes are fixed on Jesus. Thank You for His example to me and His sacrifice for me that I might experience all of life. Thank You that as I continue on this earth, I can have peace in knowing that one day when this body stops breathing and dies, I will have a place of honor beside my Savior in heaven. Thank You that there's so much more than what I can see here.


In His eternal love,
Amy


copyright 2011, Amy Wallace


Comments

Popular Posts