Spiritual Roadblocks

Chris read our couples' devotion last night, and the subject was spiritual landmarks. Now, I'm the kind of person who needs landmarks when being given driving directions. Mile markers are ok, and street names are important, but if you give me landmarks, I know I'll get there. Still, the idea of "spiritual landmarks" was a little abstract for me, and for some reason I had trouble grasping that concept. When asked about my own spiritual landmarks, I found myself with nothing to say. Maybe because I've always believed that the Christian life should be propelled by forward motion, the idea of something that's already happening being a landmark seemed weird to me.

But while the Christian life should be propelled and characterized by forward motion, I also know that it is filled with recurring themes and lessons. Sometimes the only reward for learning a lesson is not that you won't have the lesson again, but that you'll have the skill you just acquired to help you through that lesson the next time it comes around. Perhaps because of the flawed nature of humanity, the Christian life isn't always exactly forward motion. Maybe sometimes it's more like walking in huge circles because we keep coming up against the same spiritual roadblocks. Now that's something I know about.

Spiritual roadblocks are those hangups, those insecurities, those great big mountains that keep us from getting where we want to go with God. They block all paths to a closer relationship with Him - and one another. When you come upon a spiritual roadblock, there are only two choices.  1.Turn and go in the other direction, which will take you on the circular path, eventually leading you right back to the roadblock. Or 2. Find a way to climb that mountain and get over it. Any approach that does not face the mountain head on and start climbing will take you on the circular path. This includes denial, deception, apathy, and unforgiveness, to name a few.

The one thing I have absolutely learned in my own experience is that, though it may be disguised as something else, the foundation of every spiritual roadblock is fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of rejection. Fear of failure. Fear of being alone. The Bible has a lot to say about fear. When I typed in the word "fear" on Biblegateway.com, it pulled 326 results. So far I've noticed in browsing through those results that any time the Bible is not teaching on the fear of God (the only good kind), the only thing it says about unhealthy fear is, DON'T! " For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." (Isaiah 41:13) ""Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." (Isaiah 43:1) "Do not be afraid, but let your hands be strong." (Zecheriah 8:13) Jesus often said it too-
"Don't be afraid-just believe." (Luke 8:50)

God does not want us to live in fear. It keeps us from Him. It keeps us from our purpose. It keeps us from each other. The Bible teaches clearly that "The Spirit we received does not make us slaves again to fear; it makes us children of God. With that Spirit we cry out, "Father." (Romans 8:15) Did you catch that? If you live in it, fear will make you a slave. It will force you to do things you really don't want to do. It will keep you from doing the things you do want to do. If you have God's Holy Spirit living inside of you, there is no reason for you to be living in fear. After all, "if God is for us, who can ever be against us?" (Romans 8:31) For that truth to set us free, we must first know who our God is. Do you know?

What spiritual roadblock is standing in your way? What's the thing you always seem to come back to that halts your forward motion? Is it a fear of failure that keeps you in your comfort zone, even though you know God is calling you to a higher purpose? Is it a fear of rejection that keeps you from showing the person you should be closest to who you really are? Is it a fear of being alone that keeps you from standing up for what's right? Here's what I know. There is no way around that roadblock. No matter how many times you walk away from it, it will still be there when you circle around. No one will move it for you, including God. He wants to know that your relationship with Him is important enough to you to start your way up that mountain, no matter how steep or treacherous it may look.

As you reflect on your roadblock, look at how you've been handling it, and answer this question. Did you really mean it at that landmark moment when you one day declared, "I have decided to follow Jesus....no turning back... no turning back"?

Don't turn back. Start your way up that mountain instead.

Father, thank You for Your wisdom. Show me my roadblocks today. Give me courage, Father, to start my way up that mountain. I know it won't be easy, but I know You will be my courage and my help. I know that when I get to the top, that roadblock will become a landmark mountain of God where you and I will meet. I trust You for the victory. I look forward to a closer walk with You on the other side.

In His glorious love,
Amy


copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts