Living Water

I've started going to the gym. Chris has been going for a few months, and I've finally gotten motivated enough to start. They're having a five week program called Fitness Boot Camp. Last Thursday was day two of that. It's just as hard as it sounds, and my legs were so far beyond sore that I could barely use them for about three days. Walking was painful. Changing gears hurt. And if I got down on the floor for some reason, forget about getting back up! I guess it hurts to get healthy.

But although I don't enjoy the pain, I do enjoy the activity of getting healthy. I like knowing that I did something good for myself. When I get home and get showered and sit down to relax, I enjoy relaxing a lot more than I would have  had I been sitting on the couch all night. But there was one thing I noticed during this last boot camp session, something I enjoyed more than anything. There was something I couldn't get enough of as my body worked and sweated out there. It was water.

Usually, I don't enjoy drinking water. I've become so spoiled by all the tasty drinks available these days that water seems boring. It's not bubbly like the others, and there's no taste to entertain my mouth. There's no caffeine to keep me awake. Even though I know it's better for my body than all that other junk, I still usually choose the junk, and sometimes I feel guilty about that, because I know God's way is always better. Water is His provision for us, after all.

But when I was out there working hard, sweating in the heat, lifting weights and doing lunges and jumping jacks and all kinds of other torturous exercise under the direction of personal trainers, all I wanted was water. One minute water breaks between cardio and weight training were like little moments of heaven. During the hour we were out there, I guzzled down two cold bottles of the stuff. It satisfied like nothing else. If someone had offered me ten free cases of Diet Dr. Pepper or one bottle of ice cold water, I would have grabbed the water with no hesitation.

After it was all over that night and I was sitting on the couch, showered and clean, I remembered Jesus in the synagogue on the last day of the great Feast. He upset all the people's ideas of who He was by this:  "On the last and most important day of the festival,  Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone is thirsty, he should come to Me  and drink! The one who believes in Me,  as the Scripture  has said, will have streams of living water  flow  from deep within him." (John 7:37-38) In that moment, I had a deeper understanding of why God  allows trials and struggles into my life. When I am sitting quietly and safely in my little comfort zone, I exert no energy. I don't have to work for anything. I do not become thirsty. If everything were perfect in my world, I would never seek the living water of Jesus. I would never long for those streams to rise up inside of me. It's not until the difficulty intensifies and I struggle and sweat that I become thirsty. Then I go to Him for a refill of His magnificent living water. It is pure and clear and cool. It refreshes and soothes. Nothing can satisfy better.

When I reflect on my struggles and my battles in light of this truth, somehow it's easier to embrace them. Just as this fitness boot camp pushes me to desire the water that is best for my body, so my challenges push me closer to a healthy desire for God.  So instead of lamenting over continuing battles and repeat failures, I will do my best to thank God for them. Anything that brings me closer to Him is a blessing, even if it feels like a curse.

Father, thank You for Your infinite wisdom. Thank You that You truly do use all things for my benefit. (Romans 8:28) Help me today to embrace the uncomfortable situations and daily battles I face. Help me to always remember that Your living water is always available to me, even when I find myself in the desert.

In His perfect love,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts