Road Trip

I drive almost every day of my life. When I sold my beloved blue Corolla a couple of months ago, I had put almost 130,000 miles on it in less than seven years. I always have places to go and people to see, and much of the time, one or both of my children are riding in the back seat behind me. I hadn't given it much thought, but my daughter pointed out that the view is pretty different from back there. And she had some interesting insight, too.

Since it's been a while since I've ridden back there, I had forgotten that when you look behind you, everything is a big blur. You can't tell a thing about where you're going if you keep looking back. Imagine if you attempted to drive looking backwards! Looking ahead is definitely a better idea. When you look forward, you can see the important things, like road signs, beautiful scenery, and other cars on the road.

Life is a lot like a car ride, she pointed out. Looking back is NEVER a good idea. All it does is confuse us and get us lost. Dwelling on past mistakes doesn't help us. Regret will not help us move forward. Paul tells us in Philippians 3:13-14, "...one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Are you pressing on toward the goal? Or are you turning around to look behind you at the wrong choices and mistakes that haunt you? Are you so consumed with what you've lost in your life that you can't see the road signs pointing you toward God's blessing and best for you?





Take my ten year-old's advice. Look forward. See the beauty around you. Watch for road signs pointing you in the right direction. Watch out for other cars and pay attention so you don't cause a dangerous crash with a wrong turn. Enjoy the passengers in your vehicle (even if they drive you nuts!), because God placed them in your car for a reason, and it would be an awfully lonely road trip without them. Let go of all the stuff behind you and look ahead! God says, "I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

God is the ultimate GPS. He won't steer you wrong. Buckle up, look forward, follow His directions, and you will get where He wants you to go.


Father, thank You that You can teach me, even through the wisdom of my child. Help me always to see with child like faith all the truth and grace You lead me toward.



Comments

Popular Posts