The Master Navigator

I've spent a lot of time pondering Psalm 119:105. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." I've thought and written about the fact that a lamp doesn't always project a whole lot of light. Many times, it only illuminates my very next step, and I have to trust God for the rest of the plan. I had a new revelation about that yesterday.

My mother in law's last living uncle passed away last week. She has lost most of her family, and Chris and I knew this would be a difficult time for her. So after church yesterday, we headed up to Charlotte for the funeral. The interstate ride was fun, as always, with my entertaining husband. But once we got into town, I needed a serious navigator. Knowing how I like to plan ahead, Chris would warn me in plenty of time if I needed to be in one lane or another for an eventual turn. He gave me landmarks and street names, and because he was such a good and thoughtful navigator, I found myself enjoying the beautiful neighborhoods we drove through to get to the funeral home. I trusted him to get me there, and the stress of being in an unfamiliar place melted away.

Looking back on that experience, I realize that my trust in my husband extended to the funeral and the reception that followed as well. I had never met any of these people. The only one I knew there was my mother in law, Rebecca. But walking in with Chris, I felt comforted in knowing I wasn't facing this experience alone. Because I was with him, they loved me already, so I knew I could just be myself. And when we arrived at the country club where the reception was held, a place I normally would have felt extremely uncomfortable became a place of laughter and fun, all because my husband was right there by my side.

Here's my new revelation: if Chris had told me every driving direction and every thing that would have happened when we arrived from start to finish, I could never have remembered all that! But because I trusted him to get me there and guide me through the day, I truly enjoyed an afternoon that could have been miserable and stressful. Tearful moments and all, we found joy along the way, and we were able to share it with Rebecca, who desperately needed it that day.

The truth is that even a chronic planner like me can't handle more than a few pieces of the plan at a time, and God knows it! He knows me better than I know myself. I am so thankful that He gives me what I need, instead of what I want!



Are you on an unfamiliar path today? Do you wonder where He's taking you as you step into the darkness of the unknown? Then ask yourself this: do you really believe that Jeremiah 29:11 is for you? Just like the stubborn, disobedient Israelites to whom God first spoke these words, this promise belongs to you today, no matter how you found yourself on this dark path. God cares for you. He has not forgotten you. And He knows better than you do what you really need. Don't expect Him to be your GPS. Instead, cling to His Word, trust Him for that next step, and be free to find the joy along the way. Because He has promised that "I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) So "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." (Hebrews 10:23)


Father, thank You for Your faithfulness. Thank You for using my husband to teach me that I really can trust You, even when nothing makes sense. Thank You that I can find your joy along the way. Thank You for leading me so that I don't have to figure out the plan. You are the Master Navigator, and I trust You to get me where I need to go.

In His perfect love,
Amy


copyright 2010

Comments

Popular Posts