River of Delights

I've been having trouble getting up early these days. With Olivia out of school for the summer, the whole morning routine I had finally grown accustomed to is out the window. With the all important quest to get out the door by 7:45 gone, I have actually found myself hitting the snooze button so many times that an hour has passed between the first alarm chime and my feet hitting the floor. I guess Olivia's surgery didn't help either, with all the stress and upset schedules. And now that we're finally beginning to get past all that, I have longed for my quiet mornings in front of this computer and asked God to help me find this special time with Him again.

Wednesday, I got a phone call that will change all that. One of my very favorite friends has been keeping a sweet little baby for a while, and her family and I have both fallen hard for this beautiful cherub. She has big dark eyes, chubby cheeks, and soft, dark, curly hair that begs to be touched. She coos and answers when I talk to her, and we have had some GREAT conversations. I spent two hours one afternoon just holding her. I couldn't get enough. Something in her irresistible baby-ness was healing to my heart that day, and I will always be grateful for that.

Imagine how I felt when that wonderful friend called and told me that she's no longer able to keep the baby. She was in tears over it, because that wonderful baby girl-ness has also been healing for her and her family of boys. My heart broke for her, because I could imagine how quiet and still her house would feel without all that baby love. But in the midst of my sadness, I found joy, because she had suggested ME as her replacement! Oh, Lord, thank You for Your thoughtfulness!! While I have needed a reason to get myself out of bed on time, I have longed for a baby even more. And while we haven't had another one of our own yet, I asked God for a baby, and this is the one He's brought me for now. It's a temporary arrangement, beginning this very morning; I will fill in the gap between now and the end of a daycare waiting list. But, oh, how I will treasure this time with my precious little friend! And perhaps she will fill in a piece of my gap between now and having a baby of my own.Our family gets to have a preview of how it will change everything to have a baby around.

God has given me this promise many times before-"Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart." (Psalm 37:3-4, Amplified) It's usually not in the way I expect, and He teaches me so much about what my true desires really are in the process, but He always gives me the desires of my heart. God's supply of blessing is endless. He has more than I could ever dream to ask.  Psalm 35:7-8 explains it this way. "How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings. You feed them from the abundance of your own house, letting them drink from your river of delights." With a God like that, I can't lose, and neither can you! Dare to ask Him for that deep, secret desire today. You might be surprised at how He answers.


Father,
I asked You for a cup of water and You led me to Your river of delights. I asked You for a crumb of bread, and You shared Your own abundant banquet with me. How great is this love You have lavished upon me, that I should be called Your child!!! (1John 3:1) Thank You, Lord, that Your mercies are new every morning. Thank You for Your grace, which is always enough. Let me never take for granted Your perfect providence. Thank You for Your faithfulness, O God, my Father.

In His awesome and surprising love,
Amy


copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts