Body of Believers

Olivia had knots in her shoelaces yesterday, and she brought them to me for help. As I attacked those knots, I was reminded once again of the terrible shape my fingernails are in. After having acrylic nails put on for the wedding and then desperately trying to keep them for a few months, I finally gave in and had them removed. I broke them often while working, and it was impossible to play guitar with them in the way, so they had to go. Although some of my nails are finally beginning to recover, a few of them are still soft and thin from having been covered in chemicals for months. So when I tried to grab those knots between my thumb and middle fingernails, I remembered how weak they really were. Ouch!

Fingernails are small, unnoticeable and don't seem that important until they're weak and soft and you need them for something. Like scraping off a price sticker. Or opening a soda can. Or trying to clean down in the groove around a faucet. Or untying a  shoelace knot. When those fake nails came off, I realized how very much I should have valued the ones I was born with. Even though they never grow long and pretty, they serve many important purposes I never appreciated until they were weakened and unable to do their job.

The Bible calls us the body of Christ. (1Corinthians 12:27)  "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body." (1 Corinthians 12:12-19)


 Sometimes we may look at another part of the body and think we don't measure up. But remember that God's got you exactly where He wants you, and every part is important. Consider these examples. Teeth may seem small in size, but what's life like for you when you've got a toothache? And you never even notice your cuticles until you have a hangnail, right? An eyelash out of place can cause instant and unbearable discomfort. A broken toe can be debilitating. And ruined fingernails can make life difficult all day long.

Every part of the body needs every other part. We are all significant and important to the Kingdom. Everything God does has purpose, so you can know that your place and purpose in the Kingdom today is right where you're supposed to be. Just be careful not to look at the 'beautiful' parts and wish you were one of them if you're not. The Word instructs us that  "Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load." (Galatians 6:4-5)  If you are a stomach, take joy in knowing that you provide nourishment for that beautiful head of hair! Or if you are a foot, rejoice in taking the rest of that body where it needs to go! That big beautiful smile might dazzle and captivate, but it wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the roots and gums that hold those teeth in place.


You are important, my friend. God needs you to be the best at what He's appointed you to do, even if you're not yet where you hope to be. Be glad that He has chosen you! And rejoice in this body of believers He has placed you in. This body can't thrive without you!

Father, thank You that You didn't design us to live alone. Thank You that, no matter how inadequate or unqualified I may feel, there is a purpose for me in the body of Christ. Thank You that, because of Jesus, my life will always have meaning. Help me today to find my unique purpose. By Your grace, may I function at my very best to support this precious body.

In His love that abounds,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts