I Surrender All

Since I've begun learning to play the guitar, one of my favorite songs is "I Surrender All". I think I love that song so much, because my heart's deepest desire is to surrender all I am and all I have to my Savior. But it's a lot harder than it sounds. We sing a lot of songs and use a lot of language in church without really learning the deeper meaning of our words. God has been speaking to me about this 'surface surrender'. Here's what He's been saying to me.

There are certain broad areas of life that any Christian will tell you must be surrendered to God. Our children, our marriages, our relationships, our finances, just to name a few. But if you were asked specifically how one goes about surrendering those things, would you have a practical answer?

Jesus said in Luke 11:23 that "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters." There is no middle ground and there is no exception when it comes to Christ. These days, I'm trying to figure out what areas of my life are not specifically surrendered to Christ, because like He said, if I'm not actively working for Him, I may as well be actively working against Him. Here are some questions to bring to light those areas where I'm falling short.

Am I surrendering the first and best part of my day, or am I hitting snooze 20 times because the bed is so warm and cozy? Am I surrendering my diet to Him, or will I have another piece of artery-clogging cake because it just tastes so good? Am I teaching my child to surrender by helping her pray about bad dreams and school projects or am I teaching her to figure it all out for herself? Do I surrender my new marriage to God by obeying when He asks me to take an emotional risk, or do I guard my own heart at the expense of closeness with this wonderful husband He has given me?

What I'm learning is that taking up my cross daily (Luke 9:23) happens in the small stuff. Surrendering all requires attention to detail. It's every decision, not just the big ones. It's every choice, not just the ones I think are important. I want to live every moment of this life with a thoughtfulness and consideration which honors the One who took the time and care to plan every moment of my existence before I even got here. (Psalm 139:16) After all He's done for me, that's the very least I can do to say 'thank you.'

Father, thank You for teaching me the significance in small things. Thank you for searching me and showing me where I need to do better for You. As You bring my shortcomings to light, let me experience anew the wonder of Your mercy. Help me to embrace Your kindness instead of condemning myself.

In His perfect love,
Amy

Comments

Popular Posts