Good Enough

Ever since my mom had shoulder surgery a couple of weeks ago, life's been a little different around here. While she is a gracious house guest and the most compliant patient ever, just having another body to take care of has increased the workload exponentially. There's more laundry, one more plate at the table, and another person who needs help bathing and dressing. There's medicine that needs to be taken each day and her comfort and happiness to consider. I'm really enjoying being able to care of her the way she took care of me all those years I was small. It's nice to use all the things she's taught me about compassion and thoughtfulness and give something back to the one who taught me.

The one thing I've noticed  suffering, especially since last week brought two sick children and a post-op mom with bronchitis,  is my housework. The laundry still gets done every night, but a pile or two might sit on the couch for a couple of days before it gets put away. Yes, the bathrooms still get cleaned, but it's usually one piece at a time (toilet today, sink tomorrow). And I used to be sure to have the whole kitchen cleaned and all the dishes put away every night so that I could walk into a nice space to work in for breakfast the next day. But alas, these are the days of "good enough." Something's gotta give, you know. I'd rather have  everyone happy, healthy, and rested in a "clean enough" house than have an immaculate dwelling and a bunch of "happy enough" people. Sometimes, good enough is good enough, as long as the things that really matter get done. (Luke 10:41)

As I sit in my "clean enough" room upstairs to spend time with my Lord, I am so grateful that He is not a "good enough" God! I am so glad that He is an all or nothing Savior. He didn't do just enough to save me. He gave it ALL so that I could have it ALL, not just in heaven, but right now, too.  Romans 8:32 says "Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?" Think about it. Someone who has given you  50 billion dollars as a down payment on more to come certainly wouldn't say no if you asked for an ice cream cone, would he? 





In the same way, God gave His very best right up front. Anything else I could ask for or think I need is already mine. I just have to trust in his timing and delivery. I have the most precious treasure of heaven right here inside of me. (1 Corinthians 3:16)  So why should I worry about an ice cream cone today?


Father, You are the best and most wonderful Father. Thank You that You've already given me everything I will ever need for the rest of my life and beyond. Thank You for making Jesus mine. I will not worry for anything today. Instead, I will rejoice in the treasure of God that lives inside of me. Thank You that nothing but Jesus is good enough for me.


In His wonderful love,
Amy




copyright 2012, Amy Wallace


Comments

Popular Posts