Seasons

 This winter was especially cold and snowy, even here in South Carolina, and it just seemed to go on forever! I always feel so sad when the days are short and the air is cold and everything around me is brown and dead. Even though I know there's still life in those trees somewhere, I miss the green leaves and the crickets when they're gone. I miss the sun when it goes to bed early. Though I know it has its purpose, winter is NOT my favorite season.


But life has finally returned! I treasure the experience of that first warm spring day that allows for short sleeves after months of turtlenecks, sweaters, scarves and coats. To feel the warm air on my skin is pure euphoria; it somehow awakens every nerve ending and rouses long dormant joy in my soul. The longer days, the flowers and trees in bloom, even that pesky yellow pollen just cause my heart to sing! I find the warmth and light of spring thrilling in every way. Everything about spring makes me feel so alive, when I have forgotten the pleasures of living.


Just as I live through seasons here on the earth, I have found that I also walk through spiritual seasons in my own personal life, too. I have experienced the uncertainty and doubt of spiritual autumns, where everything in and around me seemed to be dying. I've endured long, relentless winters of loneliness. There have been lush, productive summers, where everything was heavy with life. But some of my favorite  seasons have been spiritual springs, where, after those long, hard winters, the Holy Spirit came and breathed life into me once again. The warmth and light of His presence reminded me of the joys of living after I'd forgotten for so long.

The Word instructs us, "Therefore repent and turn back, that your sins may be wiped out  so that seasons of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord". (Acts 3:19, Holman Christian Standard Bible)  The surest way to times of refreshing is removing everything from my life that keeps me from God. No matter how long I walk beside Him, there is always something in my life that is fighting for His attention. Sometimes it's another relationship. Sometimes it's something as trivial as TV.  For some people, it's a serious addiction, like alcohol, sex, or food. Some things are not named specifically as sins in the Bible, but Jesus said the most important commandment is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)  If something else is taking up my time, energy, or devotion before Him, it's not only breaking His heart by keeping me from Him, but it's also keeping me from all the unspeakable joys and blessings that come from intimate closeness with Him. Jesus died to offer me those joys. Why shouldn't I receive them with open and grateful arms?

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a season of refreshing! Sometimes getting there requires a little spiritual spring cleaning. What's in your way today? Is there something that's keeping you from time with God? Bump Him back up to the top of your list. Make sure you have your time with Him first, and let everything else come second. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the season of refreshing you will enter in the presence of the Lord.


Father, thank You that we can always depend on Spring! Thank You that You are a God of mercy and love. Thank You for all the times You have refreshed me. Forgive me for all the times I kept myself from Your presence. Help me to look at my life with new clarity and to get rid of those things which keep me from You.

In His life-giving love,
Amy



copyright 2011, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts