The longer I live, the more acquainted with pain I become. It seems to be everywhere some days-in my stiff bones when I rise on a sub-freezing morning; in my feet at the end of a long day of work; in my post- surgical elbow when I turn it the wrong way; in my foot when I bang it on something for the 1000th time. I can't remember the last time I went from morning til night without some kind of physical pain.

Pain comes in so many varieties. Physical pain is bad enough, especially when it hangs around long enough to be considered chronic. But then there's the other kind of pain, the kind that happens somewhere inside where no one can touch or see. It's the kind of pain that happens when your child is seriously sick. It's the kind that happens when someone you trust betrays you. It's the kind that nags and pulls at your heart as you watch one of your favorite people in the world prepare for chemotherapy. I think I'd rather stub my toe any day.

Pain is a part of life. And every time it comes to call, my first reaction is still to run. Ignore it. Focus on the busy-ness of the situation. Clean my house. But when the day is done, the pain is still there. And surely, I've missed some blessed opportunity by not sticking around to see what it has to teach me. Because I'm a human being, I suppose that my reaction will always be to pull away when something hurts. But do I not believe that God is in control of every moment of my life? (Psalm 139) Do I not believe that He uses everything for my good? (Romans 8:28) Do I not believe that even pain can bless me when God uses it as a teaching tool?

I must find a way to remind myself of the facts when pain pays me a visit. It is not necessarily something to be avoided. Jesus' great example at the cross proves that even in the worst of circumstances, God has a plan, even if it doesn't appear that way. Today, I will choose to share in His sufferings so that I may know how to comfort others when they hurt. (1 Corinthians 1:5-7) After all, that place of compassionate mercy is how God's kingdom comes on earth.

I read this poem in a devotional this morning. May it bless you:

Once I heard a song of sweetness,
As it filled the morning air,
Sounding in its blest completeness,
Like a tender, pleading prayer;
And I sought to find the singer,
Where the wondrous song was borne;
And I found a bird, quite wounded,
Pinned down by a cruel thorn.

I have seen a soul in sadness,
While its wings with pain were furled,
Giving hop, and cheer and gladness
That should bless a weeping world
And I knew that life of sweetness,
Was of pain and sorrow borne,
And a stricken soul was singing,
With its heart against a thorn.

You are told of One who loved you,
Of a Savior crucified,
You are told of nails that held Him,
And a spear that pierced His side;
You are told of cruel scourging,
Of a Savior bearing scorn,
And He died for your salvation,
With His brow against a thorn.

You are not "above the Master."
Will you breathe a sweet refrain?
And His grace will be sufficient,
When your heart is pierced with pain,
Will you live to bless His loved ones,
Though your life be bruised and torn,
Like the bird that sang so sweetly
With its heart against a thorn?


Father, thank You that You walk with me, right where I live. Thank You that I can find You everywhere, even in the pain of this life. Teach me how to be still and know that You are God, even in the midst of my suffering. Thank You for the beautiful song that will rise out of that painful place.

In His compassionate love,
Amy



copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts