Behind the Veil

We saw two Muslim ladies in Wal Mart yesterday. As we stepped out into the main aisle, there they were, cloaked in black from head to toe, hidden beneath their burqas. As they moved, the black fabric flowed around them, appearing as if they were only empty sheets, like mysterious ghosts. The only evidence of life came from the small slit in the fabric around their eyes. The image of them walking was instantly burned into my brain, and it hit me in some primal place I can't even name. I wondered if it was their choice to wear a burqa or if it was imposed on them. Although modesty is very important to me, I can't seem to relate to the idea of covering myself from head to toe to maintain it. It looks so much like hiding to me, and hiding is what people do when they are ashamed. The very first sinners did it in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:8), and people still do it today. As I think about those ladies now, I wish I had taken the time to speak to them. I have so many questions!

Unfortunately, a couple of other ladies beat me to it. Chris heard them as we passed saying, "You've been deceived!!" Although that was all he heard of the conversation, the tone was perfectly clear. Just a couple of high and mighty Christians telling the Muslims how wrong they are. I wonder if they heard one word they preached at them? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't listen if someone said to me, "You're stupid-now listen to me!" My heart broke for everyone involved. Jesus never spoke to unbelievers that way.

Jesus did say that "God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) He also said that ""I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) But He also said "God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." And don't forget "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Matthew 7:1-2)

Jesus' commission to us was to "go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20) He never said we should shame, condemn, or ridicule anyone who doesn't believe. If we do, they will never see the grace, mercy, and unending love that makes our God who He is. They will never know what it is to be free. They could miss the goodness of God, all because we don't follow His command to love.

My closing thought is this: if He is with us always, even to the end of the age, He was standing right there yesterday in that Wal Mart. What must He have thought and felt watching the exchange between those precious women ?




Father, forgive us for lacking compassion for those we don't understand. Help us to see the beautiful women behind these veils and to treasure them as you treasure them. Give us, Your disciples,  an uncontainable love for them, that they may experience, even for just a moment of knowing us, Your grace that overflows. Set them free, that they may be free indeed.

In His boundless love,
Amy


Comments

  1. I'm sure only the Lord knows why...but this made me cry. Thanks for your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts