Valleys into Mountains

Yesterday was an interesting day. It felt endless. Looking back, I can hardly believe all the things I accomplished in just 12 hours. Olivia spent the night with my mom on a whim, so I had to drop her church clothes by on my way to praise team practice. Got to the church at 8:15 for practice. Choir practice at 9, with a gospel solo for me. By that time, my voice was NOT cooperating, but I knew God would do His thing right on time. 9:30-10:25 was Sunday school. Just in the nick of time, I got on the platform for worship, ignoring my complaining bladder. Worship was AWESOME, and Olivia came down for prayer time, so I went and prayed with her, receiving a flood of peace from the Holy Spirit in the process. Then the choir sang a couple of songs, and God carried me through my solo with amazing grace, as always. Bathroom break. Sermon til 12:30. Went next door to teach some beautiful teenage girls til about 3. Swimming with Olivia and Chris at 4.  Cleaned the office together at 6. Cuddle time with Olivia from 8-8:45. And then, of course, a little cuddle time with hubby. Whew! I thought it would never end!

But I have to say that God truly blessed me every step of the way. Every time I stepped out in faith, trusting Him to use me, even though I felt I had nothing left to give, wonderful things happened. People worshiped and cried out to the Lord, meeting Him face to face. People listened and learned. A certain little girl learned to push her fear aside and live her life with enthusiasm, even with a surgery looming close at hand. It was a good day. And it's amazing to think that just days ago, I was deep in the darkness of a valley.

If you think about it, God's Kingdom is backwards from the world. In His Kingdom, to be first, you must be last. (Mark 8:34) If you want to be exalted, you must first be made low. (James 4:10) You must show love to those who hate you. (Matthew 5:44) When I was in my valley, I longed for the mountain top, and I wondered how long it would take me to get back there. But yesterday I made a startling discovery. I didn't have to make my way back to the mountain top. This time, God actually turned my valley into a mountain. Right there where I was, He turned it all around. He used my brokenness to bless others, and that blessed me.  In my desert place, I prepared the way for the LORD; I made straight in the wilderness a highway for our God. (Isaiah 40:3) And then the promise one verse later came true for me. "Every valley shall be raised up". (Isaiah 40:4) He raised up my valley. Victory came out of the low place, quickly and unexpectedly. When I accepted my helplessness and my total need for Him, He quickly brought victory in surprising ways. Peace that passes all understanding is mine today, because I embraced my lowliness yesterday.

If you're headed for a valley, don't run the other way. Follow Him there. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up (James 4:10), sometimes in the most unexepected ways.

Father, thank You for Your perfect ways. Thank You that Your ways are different from the world. Thank You that You take each of my struggles and turn them into something beautiful. Thank You for Your love, that never, ever fails me.

In His amazing love,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

  1. A good word in due season ... Thanks for sharing your heart with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts