The Brave Hero

The other night I called the babysitter, put on Chris' favorite red dress, and took him to dinner and a movie. It was nice to take some time just for us after all the busyness of Easter. We went to see Clash of the Titans, which I didn't expect to enjoy all that much, but it was actually pretty good. The two hours flew by, and as usual, I looked for lessons in it that might apply God's saving grace to my own life. Even though it was a movie about mythical gods,  the one true God spoke to me at unexpected moments in the movie.

Near the end of the film, there was a scene where a beautiful princess who had been strung up by her hands to be sacrificed to the evil one was plunged into the sea. She sunk down fast, with fallen debris all around her in the water. Everything was quiet beneath the surface as she continued to sink, and death seemed certain. In the next scene, the hero of the story was shown diving courageously into a sea turbulent with destruction. The image of  him leaping in so quickly, without hesitation, so determined to save this beautiful, helpless princess, seized my heart, and right there in that dark movie theater, I fell in love with my Savior all over again. That movie scene was a perfect picture of what He has done so many times for me.

As He did when He walked the earth, Jesus still meets people right where we are. He seeks us out (Luke 19:10) and goes where no one else will go to reach us. He is our rescuer;  He first proved it at the cross.  He proves it still as He whispers to us in the darkness of  our loneliness. He dares to enter our sorrow. He braves the turbulent seas of our anger, and His arm is always strong enough to pull us from that slimy pit of  shame. He is our Savior in every sense of the word, because He does what no man can do (Matthew 19:26) - He saves us from ourselves. Tell me - which one of us doesn't need that kind of saving?

Father God, I waited patiently for You; You turned to me and heard my cry. You lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; You set my feet on the Rock of Jesus Christ and gave me a firm place to stand. You put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Let many see the miracle of my deliverance and put their trust in You. (from Psalm 40:1-3)

In His saving love,
Amy

copyright 2010, Amy Wallace

Comments

Popular Posts